So while I was in JoAnn Fabric back in mid-May, they had books on sale and I found a book called Fat Quarter Bags by Leisure Arts. The nice thing about this book is that each bag only requires 6 fat quarters and just over a yard of fusible fleece. There are seven different bags in the book, all with two nice big pockets inside, but I decided to start with the one called San Clemente as it was basically just a few rectangles and the others involved a lot more piecing to be done. For the first time sewing anything of this nature and working with fusible, I was quite pleased with how it turned out. The only thing I had a problem with was at the end when you have to close up the hole you turn the bag right side out through because I really didn’t want to have to hand sew it shut (because I also didn’t know how to do that so it wouldn’t look horrible…I’ve since found a youtube video on how to do invisible stitches). My solution came in the form of this stuff called Steam a Seam2 (1/4″ width) that I saw someone in (another) youtube video use. OMG that stuff is awesome, it’s essentially double sided glue tape that you just iron to fuse the material together. It has come in soooo handy. I also found out that I really do have to pin at least a little when it comes time to sew the lining to the outside otherwise my side seams don’t match up right by the time I get all the way around. I’ve also been really lucky in Joann having fat quarters on sale for $1 a few times recently so I’ve been able to pick up materials to make a couple different bags with.
- Joann Fabric is having a site wide sale online, and a BOGO sale from 6/22-6/24 in store and the BOGO is on a couple different yarns, interfacings and fusibles, fabric precuts, and some of the basic fabric.
- Missouri Star Quilt Company has daily and weekly specials running all the time on precuts and sewing accessories (warning: this is hazardous to your wallet lol)
- The Fat Quarter Shop is celebrating their birthday with flash sales every day through 6/27
- Steam A Seam2
- Invisible Stitch tutorial by OnlineFabricStore.net
- Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece (currently on sale at Joann!!)
- Fat Quarter Bags by Leisure Arts, UPC 028906060294